First and Ten 9.27.2020
A phenomenal day for college football reminds us how truly blessed we are to have this great sport back. The Picks from God have been excellent so far this weekend as well. Each Sunday morning we’ll recap 10 takeaways from the day’s action; nothing too analytical, just restating the obvious. Also, there’s no particular order here; just some thoughts. Here’s the inaugural weekly edition of First and Ten.
- Texas is (not) back folks! Looks like we’re going to have to wait yet another year for this subpar program to return to glory. The defense is an absolute nightmare and Sam Ehlinger is a joke.
- Texas A&M may lose to Alabama by 50. 9 months ago, as an optimistic Aggie does, I ignorantly predicted Texas A&M to upset the Crimson Tide in Tuscaloosa. Unfortunately, it appears as if Kellen Mond didn’t practice once during quarantine and we might have the dumbest punt returner in football. Once again, it looks like another average season for the Maroon and White.
- Alabama is very good…again. Saban never takes a year off and he’s still steaming from last year’s Iron Bowl loss. The rest of college football best beware.
- Kyle Trask has to be in the Heisman conversation. Guy is the best QB at Florida since Timmy Tebow and he has put Florida back in the national championship conversation.
- D’Eriq King is another stud QB in the Sunshine State and the U has its swagger back. A matchup with the 1st ranked Clemson Tigers in 2 weeks is intriguing to say the least.
- Oklahoma doing Oklahoma things as they lose to Kansas State for the 2nd year in a row. If you’re a Buckeye fan you absolutely love to see this. Thank God we finally won’t have to watch the Sooners get stomped by a SEC team in the 1st round of the playoffs this year.
- LSU loses. Am I surprised? No, considering LSU lost everyone and their mother to the NFL draft. However, I think this shows just how impressive the Saban era at Bama truly is. Saban reloads year in and year out and is always in the national title hunt. It appears as if the LSU Tigers will be a middle-of-the-road SEC West team in 2020.
- Mike Leach is the most entertaining college football coach in the country. If you haven’t watched his post game shenanigans please do so. He’s also an offensive mastermind.
- Bet the house on Auburn next week on the road against Georgia. Bo Nix and Co. had a solid opening weekend and Georgia is on its 3rd string QB. The line should open at Auburn +4 or so but I’d even take them on the moneyline.
- Pitt is 3-0 but I have no idea if they are any good or not. The Panthers have their best start since 2014 and the defense is GOOD. They have Miami in 3 weeks followed by Notre Dame so time will tell if this team is legit.
Next week notable games:
Texas A&M at Alabama
Auburn at Georgia
Oklahoma at Iowa State
TCU at Texas